Friday, November 03, 2006

Just a little practice

Most of you know that until recently, my wife directed a day care and has studied children via books and classes as well as live interaction. I often kid around and call her "the professional" (I'm sure she'll be embarrassed by me bringing this up). Let's put it this way, she'll correctly guess toddler or preschooler age within 2 months just by inspecting the details of their fingerpainting or sidewalk chalking). But even she'll tell you that being a care-taker for someone else's kids in an institutional environment is a heck of a lot different than babysitting or even just spending time with kids at a gathering of family and friends.

For as long as I can remember, we've had regular smidges of practice with little ones at least every couple of weeks (either sitting or visiting). I'm not gonna lie - lately these experiences really make me anxious to become a parent myself. For some reason, knowing that I'm in the process (even if that's still more than a year away) gives me a different perspective.

This is particularly true the last few times I've interacted with kids. I feel like I'm really paying attention to the child's movements, sounds, and reactions to my movements and sounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm very attentive when babysitting or spending time with kids, but now it's like the experience is being recorded in my brain for later on when I might encounter some similar situation with my own daughter.

Even dumb little things mean more - like my nephew picking up an odd shaped rock and pretending it's a some kind of truck. Or watching my new-born great-niece (yup my oldest nephew is a daddy) spit out her binky because it's not what she was hoping it would be if you know what I mean.

Does any of this even make sense?

Oh well - I guess I am indeed anxious, but also thankful for all the good examples of parenting we have out there. Keep up the good work, we'll be watching and learning!!!

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am honored that you shared your blog with me. I didn't read everything but I did read a lot. I had a lot of catching up to do! How exciting for you and M. and what wonderful possibilities. I will check for updates with great anticipation. Blessings to you both.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing to watch other children when you're "expecting" but just wait until it's your child you're observing. It's the most amazing thing. I never realized I could love anyone so much. I thought I knew what it would be like but it's that and so much more. Good luck and congratulations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home